Department of Mechanical Engineering
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4L7
||JHE 308B (Mail to JHE-310)
||(905) 525-9140 x24993
- B.E.Sc., University of Western Ontario
M.Eng., McMaster University
Ph.D., University of Michigan
Dr. Judd is retired and is not accepting graduate students for supervision.
- Flow-induced vibrations
- Heat Transfer
Specific Research Activities
Dr. Judd has been a member of the Department of Mechanical Engineering from 1963 to the present during which time he conducted fundamental research in nucleate boiling heat transfer and investigated the characteristics of two phase flow mixtures passing through steam generator tube bundles. His research interests included:
- The microlayer evaporation phenomenon occurring at the base of the bubbles in nucleate pool boiling.
- The bubble nucleation phenomenon and the interaction among bubbles forming at adjacent sites on a surface.
- The effect of heat generation at the surface of the tubes on the vibration of tube bundles in two phase flow.
- The prediction and measurement of void fraction in two-phase flow in steam generator tube bundle passages.
- Judd, R.L. and Simjanov, Andrej, 2004, Bubble Nucleation in Response to a Step Change in Heat Flux, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Volume 47, Pages 2149 - 2159.
- Jones, R.C. and Judd, R.L., 2003, An Investigation of Dryout/Rewetting in Subcooled Two-Phase Flow Boiling, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Volume 46, Pages 3143 - 3152.
- Feenstra, P.A., Weaver, D.S. and Judd, R.L., 2002, Modelling Two-Phase Flow-Excited Damping and Fluidelastic Instability in Tube Arrays, Journal of Fluids and Structures, Volume 16(6), Pages 811 - 840.
- Robinson, A.J. and Judd, R.L., 2001, Bubble Growth in a Uniform and Spatially Distributed Temperature Field, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Volume 44, Pages 2699 - 2710.
- Feenstra, P.A., Weaver, D.S. and Judd, R.L., 2000, An Improved Void Fraction Model for Two-Phase Cross-Flow in Horizontal Tube Bundles, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, Volume 26, 1851 - 1873.
- Mallozzi, R., Judd, R.L. and Balakrishnan, N., 2000, Investigation of Randomness, Overlap and the Interaction of Bubbles at Adjacent Nucleation Sites in Pool Boiling, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Volume 43, Pages 3317 - 3330.
- Judd, R.L., 1999, The Role of Bubble Waiting Time in Steady Nucleate Boiling, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, Volume 121, Pages 852 - 855.