Department of Mechanical Engineering
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4L7
||JHE 310 (Mail to JHE-310)
||(905) 525-9140 x24907
- M.A.Sc., University of Toronto
Ph.D., University of Waterloo
Dr. Weaver is retired and is not accepting graduate students for supervision.
- Flow-induced vibrations
- Theoretical mechanics
Specific Research Activities
My current research interests are primarily in the area of flowinduced vibrations. Whenever a structure is exposed to a flowing fluid, it will respond to turbulent pressure fluctuations or periodicity in the flow. In certain cases the structure may interact with the flow in such a way that it becomes unstable. To ensure structural integrity, the vibration amplitudes must be kept within acceptable limits and instability must always be avoided.
The goal of my research is to develop an understanding of the fluid excitation mechanisms and, ultimately, to be able to design structures against destructive flow induced vibrations. As many of these problems involve high Reynolds number separated fluid flows, it is often necessary to study the phenomena experimentally. To this end, wind and water tunnel facilities have been developed and the fluid behaviour is studied using hot wire and laser doppler anemometry as well as flow visualization. Theoretical models are also developed whenever possible using both analytical and numerical techniques.
Current applications of this research at McMaster include heat exchanger tube arrays (especially nuclear steam generators), hydraulic gates and valves, bellows expansion joints and acoustic excitation in pipelines. Research has also been conducted on the active control of flow induced vibrations and acoustic resonance using acoustic feedback techniques. All of this research has been motivated by practical problems and is supported through industrial contracts as well as research grants.
- Huang, X.Y. and Weaver, D.S., "A Flow Visualization Study of the Active Control of Free Shear Layer Oscillations", ASME PVP Symposium Flow Induced Vibration 1990, Vol. 189, pp. 31-38.
- Weaver, D.S. and Ainsworth, P., "Flow Induced Vibration in Bellows", ASME J. Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 111, 1989, pp. 402-406.
- Weaver, D.S. and Fitzpatrick, J.A., "A Review of CrossFlow Induced Vibrations in Heat Exchanger Tube Arrays", J. of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 2, 1988, pp. 73-93.
- D'Netto, W. and Weaver, D.S., "Divergence and Limit Cycle Oscillations in Valves Operating at Small Openings", J. of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 1 (1), 1987, pp. 3-18.
- Yetisir, M. and Weaver, D.S., "The Dynamics of Heat Exchanger UBend Tubes with Flat Bar Supports", ASME J. Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 108, 1986, pp. 406-412.
- Harris, R.E., Dokainish, M.A. and Weaver, D.S., "A Simplified Finite Element for Added Mass and Inertial Coupling in Arrays of Cylinders", ASME J. of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 07, 1985, pp. 118-125.